Management Planning and Staff Performance in Government Health Centres. a Casestudy of Busolwe Hospital, Butalejja District, Uganda.
Author: NAMUGOJI FAITH
Supervisor: Jacinta Bwegyeme Kobusingye , Alex Oboth
This study was carried out in order to investigate the influence of management planning on staff performance in government hospitals a case study of Busolwe Hospital. The study was carried out from January 2013 to April 2016
There are three objectives in this study which include; To establish the relationship between organizational goals and staff performance in government hospitals, to investigate the relationship between resource allocation and staff performance and to explore the relationship between evaluation methods used and staff performance in government hospitals.
The present study is a cross sectional- survey study. Statistical sample of this study is 104 employees of Busolwe hospital. Research data has been collected via standard questionnaires.
Findings from the field indicated that among the three variables of management planning, organizational goals had a positive significant relationship with employee performance. Implying that as organizational goals get focused and clear there is improvement in employee performance.
Evaluation methods which is another variable had no statistically significant relationship with staff performance but the correlation was positive. This means that the types of evaluation methods used are necessary but not sufficient to improve employee performance.
And finally resource allocation. There was a positive correlation between resource allocation and staff performance in this study and therefore the relationship was statistically significant .This means that providing staff with resources required to perform their work does improve their performance in fact the findings indicate that increase in resource allocation increases staff performance.
A regression analysis was run to establish the predictive capability of the dependent variable (employee performance) in relation to the independent variable (management planning). The findings reviled that 5.8% variations of management planning explain employee’s performance and the other factors account for the 94.2% implying that management planning as a model accounts for 5.8% of employee performance.
I recommend that the hospital administration focuses its efforts more on organizational goals and employee participation in setting the goals .This is because organizational goals have a significant effect on employee performance.
Employees should also discuss evaluation results with their respective supervisors and training carried out where possible.