The Influence of Media on Student’s Behaviour in Selected Secondary Schools in Industrial Division of Mbale Municipality.
Author: Nagwere joshua
Supervisor: Richard Obua
The purpose of this study was to establish the influence of media on the student`s behavior in secondary schools in Mbale Municipality and the objectives were: To examine the current state of studentís behavior and performance in secondary schools in Mbale Municipality. To assess the role of media in influencing studentís behavior in secondary schools. To establish ways in which the media can be used to improve studentís behavior in secondary schools in Mbale Industrial Division.
The study used cross-sectional survey design, the instruments used to collect data were questionnaires and interview guide. The questionnaires contained structured questions with provision of ticking the most appropriate answers. These were provided for each person a predetermined order (Davous 2002).
The findings were at Mbale Municipality. There were more males than 52% compared to females 48%. Majority of the respondents agreed that the performance of the students involved in the use of media in secondary school was with 70% therefore this showed that they must strive higher to fulfill the remaining 30%.
The study then concludes by prescribing way forward to the restoration and promotion of African cultures as it affects students with particular reference to Ugandan society. The study therefore recommends that apart from government, teachers and parents, all should come in to sensitize the students on the negative behavior they are copying from media. This is because according to the study it was found out that many of this student use media in their leisure time and thus these behaviors are got from media.