Analysis of the Contribution of the First Northern Uganda Social Action Fund (Nusaf) Efforts Towards Poverty Reduction on the People of Kaberamaido a Case of Kaberamaido Sub-County
This is a brief Summary of the Report. The study was carried out to assess the contribution of the Northern Uganda Social Action Fund (NUSAF) on poverty reduction in Kaberamaido District case study of Kaberamaido Sub County. The general objective of the study was to analyze the contribution of Northern Uganda Social Action Fund efforts on poverty reduction in Kaberamaido Sub County, Kaberamaido District.
The specific objectives of the study were:- to assess the level of contribution of community development initiatives, to establish the contribution of the vulnerable groups support towards poverty reduction, to assess the contribution of the Youth opportunities programme on poverty reduction, and to assess the level of the contribution of the community reconciliation and conflict management towards poverty reduction..
Both qualitative and quantitative methods of data collection were used during the data collection process.
The participants were selected randomly in the community where the programme was implemented, while the technical officers included the NDO, The District Planner, the trainers of trainees, the sub county chief, the CDO, the parish chiefs and the community facilitators totaling to 74 participants.
The tools used in the data collection included but not limited to questionnaires which were administered to all respondents, revision of available reports, observation especially at the homes of beneficiaries and direct interviews
The key findings of the study include among others the following;-
- Women participate in income generating projects of the community than the men.
- The youth are more active in the projects than the elderly.
- The success of NUSAF is based on the hands on approach rather than theoretical.
- The community is aware of the NUSAF and they have benefited either directly or indirectly.
- Most of the beneficiaries of NUSAF are married thus the improvement at household level.
- NUSAF has led to improved health of the community members through provision of direct income through labour based works.
- Access to education has also been improved through income from labour based works and the construction of classrooms, staff houses and libraries in schools. Generally, NUSAF has led to improvement of the lives of people in Kaberamaido District although some improvements are needed in the implantation of the programme as seen further in the report